avery kate

avery kate
She's a girl with places to go!!!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

lot's to do.....

So, I have at least a million things to do this morning, and in the way of all great procrastinators I sit down to update my blog...of course!

This is baby shower weekend and the reveal of baby Will's room! We're having tea sandwiches, a cheese ring that jessi loves and tiny baby pickles, along with not one but 2 cakes at the request of the "one-with-child". One cake is coconut and the other chocolate, I've included the recipe for the chocolate frosting below. It really is the best frosting ever and not too labor intensive. It's creamy and dark chocolaty goodness!!! One of the sandwiches will be pimento cheese, the recipe is from my mother-in-law....She used to make it all the time and everyone loved it. Luckily I paid attention when she made it. The key here is the American cheese, Not Velveeta, but plain-ole American cheese from the deli...if you have better luck than I usually do, maybe you can make the deli person understand that you don't want it sliced. I usually have quite a time with this. Once, at Walmart, when I asked for a one pound chunk of cheese, the lady looked at me and said "I don't know how to do that, I'll have to get my manager", okay I'm thinking now we'll get somewhere, but the manager came out, gave me the stink eye and said, "You don't want it sliced??" Feeling like an idiot and put firmly in my place, I said well if you make really thick slices I guess that will work...I got 3 reeeeaaaalllllllllly thick slices and went on my way with my tail tucked between my legs. I've since had varying degrees of success at different stores, the older deli people usually seem to get it, the young ones...not so much!   Here are the recipes...

Pimento Cheese

1 lb American cheese, grated (I use yellow American)
1 large jar diced pimentos, drained (but not to well, a little juice gives flavor)
1 cup mayonnaise, (use the real deal here, low fat is okay, but real tastes better)
Mix all that up and add a little pepper to taste.

Now wasn't that hard??? I usually use my food processor, and it takes longer to get all the stuck cheese cleaned out than it takes to eat the finished product. Thanks Wilma!!! We miss you.

Now for the chocolate frosting!


Dark Chocolate Frosting

1/2 cup unsalted butter melted, (use real butter it makes a difference)
2/3 cup Hershey's Special Dark cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup half and half, (okay, I know, but I never said it was low fat)
1 tsp vanilla
a tiny pinch of salt
Melt the butter, stir in the cocoa and the salt, add the powdered sugar and milk alternately and beat to spreading consistency. Stir in vanilla. If it seems too thick to spread add a little more half and half, too thin add a little more powdered sugar.
This recipe doubles well but doesn't keep in the fridge well at all...it never seems creamy after its chilled. (as if there is ever any left over)!!!

Well, I've dawdled enough..I'm going to sew!

Michelle 

3 comments:

  1. Nana, first can you have pimento cheese for breakfast because I want that right now! Second, that really is the BEST chocolate icing ever!!!!! Love- Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll always remember my 13th birthday when you made me a tub full of icing - it think it was probably cream cheese icing - and I ate all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great shower! Awesome food!

    ReplyDelete