avery kate

avery kate
She's a girl with places to go!!!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

rain rain go away

Saturday morning comes, ready for the big yard work blitz and...it's raining :( 
now what to do, it's not like I don't need to clean house, do laundry, pay bills,...the list goes on.  It's just that I wanted to work in the yard,(insert whine here) today.  No really fun stuff just maintance that has been waiting all winter to be done.   I have my crew, Rach, Chris, and David all lined up for work and Jess was gonna cook for us, (of course all events end or begin with food).  Well, dang!
I have no plan B...which is unusual for me, I usually plan to at least F or G!!

Hmmm...well David asked me to make something for his pot luck on Monday, it's an ice cream party! What a great idea, I'll file that one for future potluck suggestions.  I think I'll make chocolate sauce...My mom's recipe by way of Marsha Adams cook book. Do you remember her, not my mom, Marsha Adams?  She had a cooking show on pbs low so many years ago...Cooking from Amish country, lots of butter and cream in her dishes!  Mom and I went to see her at a lecture luncheon, oh maybe 15ish years ago, it was interesting to listen to her talk about food and then we got lunch, her recipes of course...we had a ruben casserole, sounds weird, tasted great. I'll try to find that coolbook. I'ts in a box in the garage I think, (oh great another thing for the to do list...clean out the garage) any way some interesting dishes.  Enough rambling, on to the...

CHOCOLATE SAUCE

1 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa ( I use hersheys extra dark)
1/2 cup hot water
1/8 tsp salt (Marsha was a not from the South, I use a pinch)
2 tbsp butter (I've use margarine...you know..butters better)
1/2 tsp vanilla

Whisk corn syrup, sugar, cocoa, water and salt together in a med sauce pan over medium heat stirring constantly until it comes to a boil. Reduce to simmer and DO NOT STIR for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.

OK I've stirred it...it gets grainy from sugar crystals on the edge of the pan mixing back into the sauce.  I've also whisked with a wire whisk for 3 minutes and I couldn't tell the difference from using a electric mixer other than my arm was really tired.

Put this stuff in a pint jar with a lid and hide it in the very back of the fridge or it will be gone and no one will know what has happened to it....a spoonful at a time!  It reheats well in the micro and lasts...I don't know if it lasts more than a week, it's never made it that long in my fridge...I'll ask mom.

On to plan H or I for the day...

Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Nan,
    What were you doing up at 5 o clock? Second sorry we didn't start on yard work...next weekend? Third I want chocolate sauce and need ruban casserole in a bad way!!!! Lastly, love ya and your handy blog :0) -rach

    ReplyDelete